Friday, June 01, 2007

june 1st, indian males, and subway sandwiches

Does anyone out there have dates that they have set as markers and its kind of weird when you actually get there?! Well June 1st was a marker for me. I officially only have 27 normal days in India left. When I get back from my vacation in the middle of July I will only have 3 weeks left!! crazy. And those three weeks will be spent saying goodbye and packing...not so normal. I wish I could say that I was sad, but I guess Thailand and Bali has me too excited. I have too much to look forward to right now. But I definitely think that my flight from Thailand to Delhi for the last time will be hard. I know that when I come back for those three weeks everything will finally sink in and pretty sure its going to be hard to say goodbye my home and my life here.

On a lighter note (kind of), today I had an "I hate all indian males" day. I know that sounds really harsh BUT it was just one of those days. Being a white single female in India gets you a lot of obnoxious attention. I would give anything to just blend some days. This is the obnoxious attention I got today....

1. Male worker in a clothing store in a mall asking me if I was from abroad and following me around the store. I really wanted to just be left alone to look at the clothes BY MYSELF.
2. The coffee shop male worker asking me to fill out a comment card (they always make lindsey and i do this..its so annoying) about a bottle of water and then asking on two separate attempts to fill out our email address and phone number... um i don't think so biahya.
3. Going up on the escalator in the mall and having two males holler..."hello mam how are you?" which by the way is VERY culturally unacceptable.
4. Being in the movie theater and having the two males behind us have really inappropriate behavior and laugh obnoxiously and curse to get our attention.
5. Trying on clothes in a store and having the male worker keep going to the dressing area to see what we would come out in.
6. Not to mention...the moment by moment stares I get. You would think we were famous.

This all happened in about a 2 hour period of time... i really felt like indian men were intentionally trying to piss me off. Lindsey and I were talking at dinner tonight about how we can't wait to be around American males again...sigh. I wonder if I will feel ignored when I get back to America and nobody notices me. :)

However, the indian men were slightly redeemed today. Lindsey and I order from Subway (the sandwich place) weekly. Well they deliver to our door (something I will definitely miss about India- home delivery). Every time we call they know us by name. I am pretty sure we are the only white people in our part of town...so we are hard to forget. Recently, we have had some serious issues with their delivery (took them 3 hours and then finally canceled our order). We let them know we were unhappy. Well today, we actually went to the Subway and once they recognized us they apologized immediately and said they fixed the problem. They were very accommodating and said they had hired lots of extra people so there would be no problems anymore!! So I guess being white in India also has its perks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some days and some things in life are just not worth repeating. Just think of the memories they have helped you make to tell to your grandkids one day.

Any smart American man would take notice of you. Who wouldn't miss your beauty & your sweet smile.

Mommie

Emily said...

Those "I hate Indian males" days are very hard! I sympathize, and just know that I'm sure you handled it a lot better than I would have!

Lindsey said...

Despite all that... those jean capris were still really cute on you :)

Anonymous said...

oh how i love thee, let me count the ways. i love to read your thoughts because it makes me feel like we still talk everyday. i miss you so much dear friend and the subway sandwich/indian males made me laugh. i truly cannot re-iterate enough how extremely proud of you i am. when i read and study of how i can be more of the woman He wants me to be, thoughts of you quickly rush in. until we are sipping our latte's and talking like old times, know that i am entering the Throne room for you my dear sister. muah!
-Ghetto Booty #1, neva foget dat!!!

Alicia said...

Sarah! You are the best. Thanks for your sweet encouragement always. I can't wait to sit and be with you again... and do all sorts of crazy stuff together!! You are amazing!!