Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Hearts #EverydayMay

The heart is a messy and deceptive thing.

Last night I sat between two friends, who I love more than words, each struggling with different varieties of disappointment with life. Each of their disappointments is painful and real. And as a friend I always struggle with how to console and how to love, especially when it deals with matters of the heart. The heart is stubborn and it wants what it wants sometimes spinning out of control.

The heart is the seat of our emotions. Scripture warns us to guard our hearts because it is the wellspring of life. Our hearts are a God–given blessing but can so quickly and so easily be used against us. So how we do we guard our hearts in change, disappointments, through broken relationships, and through loss?

But what happens when your heart wants what it can’t have?

Or the things that our heart desires are not what God desires?

What happens when we see our hearts hardening?

What happens when you can’t trust your own heart anymore? Even Jeremiah said that “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?”

How do we keep our hearts pure and mold able in the hands of God in conjunction with life disappointments?

I wish I had the answers, which I don’t, but I think there is an abiding piece that is important along with eyes that our focused on the prize and the cross. When parents disappoint, men disappoint, friends disappoint, and sometimes even God disappoints, we must work to guard our hearts and press that much more into Christ.

Lord, helps us to always guard our hearts through the ups and downs of life and keep Your gospel centric to our lives. Make our hearts to be molded to Your likeness.

No comments: