Wednesday, May 04, 2011

God Shape Musings #EverydayMay

Tonight, I had the much anticipated opportunity to start a 4-week study or process entitled "God Shape". One of the funnest things about tonight was seeing some of my #everydaymay blogging and twitter friends. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to connect with everyone, there's always next week. Sorry bunny trail complete, back to God Shape.

I will be honest and say the first time I heard the phrase "God Shape" I was slightly skeptical. It is one of those cheezy Christian culture phrases that I feel like you would only hear the cheezy DJ's on the fish use. But some of my favorite people, Dave, Cristin, and Sarah have spoken nothing but praises regarding this "process". After hearing their personal testimonies of how knowing their "God Shaped" has helped them better serve the body of Christ, I was game and did everything to weasel my way into the next study.

One thing you must know about me is that I LOVE personality assessment tests. I am particularly obsessed with Myers Briggs. So much so (shhh....don't tell anyone) but I once analyzed my previous boyfriend based on his Myers Briggs and definitely inquired on the special "love" tab to see if we were "compatible". I would like to think I have matured since then, only time will tell. :)

So finding your "God Shape" is like a personality test on some major steroids. It magically (it is still slightly abstract idea for the "s" in my myers briggs) integrates the results of your Myers Brings test, Strengths Finders test (According to this gem of a book), and your spiritual gifts test to help you understand your specific function in the body of Christ. I have taken all of these three test separately in the past, but never have been able to understand how they relate to each other.

Everyone's "God Shape" of course is unique and very specific to that person and helps you to sift through what is a general calling and what is a specific calling in your own life. It helps you be the best body part you can be in the body of Christ. This ultimately frees you to accomplish your specific role, which then gives you freedom to know what things to say yes to and what things to walk away from in ministry.

So, tonight I started a journey to find my specific "God Shape". And one of my favorite things about this process, is that I get to do it in community with a lot of people that I think ROCK in the body of Christ. All this to say, I am sure you will get to hear me process some of these personalities tests and my process or personal journey of finding my "God Shape" in the upcoming weeks.

6 comments:

Becks said...

Ohhh the Meyers Briggs moments we've had...

Alicia said...

Lol. I will never forget the Starbucks conversation about you know who and you know who. That will go down as one of my favorite memories. So many of them happened at "Saturday at Starskies". Raarr, the fight, Myers Briggs boyfriend analyzing, the sandals couple, etc.... Man this kind of makes me miss grad school already.

o hallelujah said...

This is so great! I have heard many good things about Godshape and can't wait to do it. I'm glad you're able to learn so much through ti and connect with some amazing people.

Amanda said...

Interesting! When I glanced at the title of this post I thought it said "God shaped mustangs." I could not wrap my mind around what those would be. Ha!

raj said...

Is this just a Sandals thing? If not, will you post more info about it?

Rissa said...

I want to know my God shape!