I had friend recently ask me how Christians make decisions when there are two godly opportunities. I am no expert in decision making, but I have had to make a lot of decisions in my 27 years of life. These are just some guiding principles I use when making decisions.
*I am assuming that both of these decisions would be within the will of God, so it’s like choosing an apple or an orange. There might not even be a right or wrong, so how do you choose?
1. Community- If you have a group of believers that love you and know you ask them for their input. Do they have concerns? Does this opportunity fit your giftings? Do they affirm you in this opportunity? Will they support you? What are their overarching thoughts? If you don’t have to make the decision by yourself, then don’t. Get input. Seek out people that you are godly and that aren’t afraid to speak the truth to you in love.
2. Giftings- I think God-given opportunities allow us to operate in the spaces that we're are gifted in. Not to say that I think that mastery of our giftings are necessary for moving forward. So two questions I would ask are: Does this opportunity allow me to operate in my gifts? Does this opportunity provide opportunity to grow in my gifts?
3. End Goal- I think to some degree, we all have an idea of what we think God has called us to do.Even if this “idea” is out of reach for the moment, it important to choose opportunities that allow you to get there. Sometimes one opportunity provides a scenario to get one step closer towards what God has called you to long-term. Which opportunity positions you to reach your end goal?
4. Kingdom impact- Which godly opportunity provides more opportunity to see people come to know the gospel? Will this hinder or usher in Kingdom work?
5. Prayer- Obviously prayer is the underlying foundational component in all of this. I don’t think Goad always writes neon words in the sky or speaks in an audible voice (sometimes he does), but I very strongly believe that God provides peace through our prayers and an open hand to do whatever it is that God desires.
6. Faith- I think that sometimes the thing God asks us to do is the one that requires faith and trust. And there is beauty in obedience and sacrifice. I also believe that God answers prayers when we move. Sometimes it’s hard to move us when we refuse to take steps of faith in one direction or the other.
7. Evaluation- I think sometimes the answer is in looking at past opportunities and the places that God has already taken you. Which opportunity is the best natural step for where you’ve already been and where you are going?
And if in the end and both are still the same... then pick the one that makes you excited, that makes you most alive. No need to be a martyr and choose the high road and the road of suffering. But rather follow Piper's analogy of Christian hedonism. For when we are most satisfied then He is most glorified. So choose the one that makes you passionate and most alive.
These are my raw thoughts. What do you do when choosing something when both seem to be godly and good options?
No comments:
Post a Comment