Saturday, May 21, 2011

Marathon of Life #EverydayMay

Sometimes I like to think of my life as a marathon. Marathons are challenging and they test your endurance. I personally have only completed a half-marathon, but I still have a bucket list desire to run the full 26.2 miles. Running and I seem to have this love/hate relationship. When I am in shape, I absolutely love getting lost in my thoughts running amongst orange trees and sunsets. Sadly, right now running makes me just think how much I hate running and wish I could get back to those easy 6 mile runs of old.

But we are all on a marathon of life. There are days when I feel like, despite reality, that I am still at the starting line. Most of my friends have started to run the race and found a partner in life to run with them, to encourage them, and to help them make decisions along the way. Some of them seem to already have multiple laps around the course, yet I am still lacing up my shoes in the locker room. And then there are days when I see my friends starting a new lap with baby strollers. And then I wonder what it’s like to push a stroller and run at the same time. It’s just a foreign thought to me.

Then while sitting in the locker room waiting to run the race, I find a dark and handsome man who is also waiting to start the race. We begin to lace our shoes up together, he gets to know me, and then we begin to talk about starting this race together. He gets to know me a little bit more, and leaves to go to the bathroom. But for some unknown reason he never returns, even though he promised to return. So I wait in the locker room, anticipating the course and what it might be like to run.

I wonder if I am benched forever and beginning to question if I am even qualified to run the race. Am I too intimidating? Not pretty enough? Not skinny enough? Too educated? Too spiritual? Too boring? Why does everyone else get to run and not me? What's wrong with me? Why can't I work hard or make it possible to run? And so I wait, wondering if I am qualified or even made to run.

The problem with this view of the marathon is the starting point. I sometimes feel that this is how the world views my life. That it has not yet started because I am still single. That to be married, to have the family, and to have the American dream is when life somehow starts. I have NONE of these things which some days feel like disqualify me to run the race. I see the enemy tempt me with these lies in my life and those closest to me. The enemy would like nothing more than for me to believe this is my reality…waiting…for life to begin. It is in believing this lie that I miss out on the joy of running.

The truth is that my marathon is about bringing God glory through the body that He has graciously stewarded to me during the race. And it’s through focusing on the cross and His work that qualifies me to run. It’s not an identity or a position, but grace. And He provides an awesome community of runners to run alongside me, to teach me to run better, to run when I cannot any longer, and to spur me on to FINISH.

After all...

“Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.”
I Corinthians 9:24-27

Has anyone else ever felt that there are things in your life that disqualify you to run? For my obvious season in life, Satan uses my singleness. But for you, what are other things that you find that Satan twists in your life that keep you from the joy of running?

5 comments:

Becks said...

What to say? You know I'm everything I'm thinking right now I'm sure. Bitterness. Resonance. Anger. Convictions. Depression. Frustration. Agreement without belief. Etc.

Irrational said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Let's get together and talk. I know I'm married and have been with my spouse since high school, so I don't truly understand your situation. However, I would be lying if I didn't admit that there have been times and even seasons that I have been jealous for what you ladies currently have that I will never have the opportunity to have. I love you and want to encourage you. Once we're walking with the Lord, we're on the track. You don't want someone who is still hanging out in the locker room, because that's not where you are. You are running the race and pressing on toward the goal. There might be a hottie in the locker room, but he isn't the prize. Press on, ladies. Let's get together and encourage one another at least once before we move. Love you.

Alicia said...

I completely agree with you jess! There is some jest for me in this analogy. But there are days that this feels true. I honestly would NOT trade in my single years for anything! They have been awesome. So please don't think I am suicidal over here, just sometimes an analogy of his it seems at times! Love ya and thanks for the encouragement.

Kelley C said...

Dang girl- don't you know how hard it is to run with a quadruple stroller? That I look with envy at the people sprinting past me as I struggle to carry all mine along with me? That I think about how much further along I could be if I wasn't pushing so much weight?
I liked your analogy and I love you!!! Maybe we should switch races? Want to do a sprint triathlon?