Event #1- Amber took me to a Thai restaurant in downtown Songtan that was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!! I have been craving Phad Thai since I left Thailand a month ago. I would also like to say that this is where I was attempting to work on my my Chopstick skilz. I was so proud of myself that I asked amber to take a picture. Then when it was time to take a picture, I had stage fright. Sad. But in the end, I pulled myself together and grabbed those noodles! Here are my attempts and my success! Wahoo.
Event #2- We took a Taxi ( a big deal...amber always walks but made an exception because of the rain) to the Subway station where we traveled to Suwan for the second day in a row! Suwan is about a 30 minute Subway ride from where Amber lives. Suwan has a really nice mall that carries Clinique make-up (the reason we made the trip). Here is us waiting for the Subway to come.
Event #3- The best thing about Suwan is Starbucks of course! Amber does not have a Starbucks in her town...so of course we made a stop. I got a White Chocolate Mocha which i have not had in two year because Thailand never offers that flavor. Way to go Korea Starbucks!
Event #4- Amber doesn't really care much for coffee so she got herself some Baskin Robins ice cream...can anyone say yummy? She brought it to Starbucks to eat with me, BUT she had problems eating it and made a mess. She did however enjoy it to the very end...even though it ended up all over her hands and shirt. Silly ambo.
Event #5- We got back on the Subway and headed back to Amber's home town so that she could get her hair trimmed. Due to unfortunate events (they were busy) it didn't work out ....Soooo.... we went to hang out with Amber's community of believers. It was pretty fun. We both got suckered into a game of spades pretty quickly...and lets just say....Matt and I made beautiful spade players. Together we were UNSTOPPABLE. Seriously. It was a lot of fun.
Event #6- After Matt and I dominated at Spades we decided to all play a game of Pictionary. Can I just say that I have a fear of Pictionary. I make stick figures look RIDICULOUS and have always been ashamed of my lack of drawing skilZ. Really it is embarrassing. I seriously almost refused to play, but I thought I should face my fears and own up to them. All I have to say is compared to the others around me...i seriously am not THAT bad! ha ha. Amber and I were partners and we were able to use our super sister pshyc power to win some rounds. I would also have to say that I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time!
You might ask...Alicia how are you adjusting to all this American fellowship? Can I just say that I am trying really hard to be "normal" and not say weird things...here are a few random cultural things...
1. Before we ate our meal...we had to hold hands with the people next to us while we prayed. I had to hold two men's hand. I was freaking out!
2. I had to stop myself from saying Hindi all night long.
3. I was with more males than females...j-peeps...when does that ever happen?
4. I had beef in my spaghetti.
5. I ate strawberries and whip cream for the first time in two years. I let ppl know i was excited but suppressed my pure enthusiasm so people wouldn't think I was "too" weird.
6. I was actually able to engage in conversation with the male species rather than just meet them and never talk to them. It was weird to actually have brothers in Christ to interact with.
5 comments:
I love the photo of the two of you laughing so hard. Even though you aren't doing as planned it sounds like you are having a lot of fun.
As for fitting back into culture. I feel really sorry for you when the get to the states. You will have your Indian culture mixed up with 2 weeks of Korean culture...you are going to be in sad shape here. No telling what is going to come out of your mouth or what strange look you might give us when you return to the states.
Event #4 - Family characteristic
Event #6 - Do you remember that one Christmas that we played games with Grandpas side of the family? The Divers dominated that game as well with our "super family pshyc power."
Oh Mommie, don't forget if she makes that stop in Cali. They are an entirely different culture as well :O)
I am cracking up at how you are trying to act "normal". I'm sure it really is very difficult to do. I had a hard time with that after I got home from Taiwan and I was only there for ONE month.
I hope you got a Korea Starbucks mug.
Pictionary is the best game EVER!
Post a Comment