Sunday, August 12, 2007

The DMZ Tour

On Saturday, I got the neat opportunity to do the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) Tour. Basically, I got the chance to cross the border and stand in North Korea. Crazy I know. I honestly didn't know anything about the relationship between North and South Korea (because ashamedly I suck at history). I just knew that North Korea was the bad communist one and South Korea was the good Korea. So I got a little much needed history lesson on the bus via history movie. Amber lives in Songtan which is the same city where Osan Air Force Base is. Amber has a lot of amazing military friends...so they hooked us up with the DMZ tour through the base. It was pretty sweet. Here are pictures.


Amber and I got to crawl through the Third Infiltration Tunnel. This is a tunnel built by the North Koreans to try to get to the South Korean border. The tunnel was discovered before they could use...so now it is a tourist attraction. We had to wear hard hats to go in.

This is Dorasan Station. It is a subway station built for the purpose of unification among North and South Korea. It still does not have any daily runs. We stopped here and got a North Korea "fake" stamp in our passport.
The guards that guard the entrance.
The train headed for North Korea...still not functioning...but ready.
I am pointing towards North Korea and Amber is pointing to South Korea.
Next we went to Joint Security Area (JSA). JSA is the only place on the demilitarized zone where North Korea and South Korea come face to face. There is a neutral area owned by the United Nations Command in the T-4 building where all peace treaties are made. I got to go in this building! yeah! Before we could go, I had to sign this piece of paper saying that basically if I died they weren't responsible. At this point, i felt very sydney bristo like or even better Jack Bauer like....i felt the slight adrenaline of feeling like i was about to be put in harms way. Luckily, I am still alive!

Me standing in front of the T-4 building...North Korea is behind me. In fact that big white building is owned by North Korea.

Me standing in North Korea. If you look at that table you see small speakers that divide the table. The side I am standing on in the North Korea side and the other side is obviously the South. While we are in this building they can hear everything that is being said and they were watching us!
Me standing like the guard. He didn't budge at all the whole time we were in that room.
The monument is where the Axe Murder Incident occurred in 1976.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

You two are too cute!

Craig & Cindy said...

This looks like a fun and interesting trip. I can't believe all the places you have been in the last 2 years and all the stories that go with it.

Janelle and Ella said...

Thanks for the history lesson. It is so cool that you got to do this. I'm a smidge jealous.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Wow! Cool!! That's so neat! Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

That's really cool! And now you can say you've been to North Korea! Not a lot of people can make that claim.

Anonymous said...

You have been to some truly amazing and interesting places!!! I am trying not to be jealous of all the cool places you've seen. ;)

Angie said...

Hey,I'm a lurker who just wanted to say hi. I'm an IMB missionary in southern Africa and found your blog from Baby Bangs.

Lindsey said...

You are cooler than Sydney Bristow... Did you see Jack Bauer by any chance?

Laura said...

way to go Sydney, I'm sure Jack would be proud!!

Anonymous said...

alicia,
i got to visit the dmz when i was in high school (way back before electricity was invented)... my dad is originally from n. korea and escaped from there during the korean war. he came to the US to study at uc berkeley and met my mom shortly thereafter.

the dmz was a scary place to visit and quite eye-opening for a naive 16-year old.