Monday, July 30, 2007

A "Classic" Indian home visit

Over the past two years, I have had the opportunity to be in many many home of Indians. Saturday, Lindsey and I, were invited to Deepa's aunt's house for dinner. We had such a great time and it the was the most "classic" Indian visit. Let me try to explain to you what a classic Indian visit is like...I hope that this comes out good enough through words...because if I could tell you about all this in person...you wouldn't be able to stop laughing. It's pretty good stuff.

First 30 minutes-
This is the most awkward time of the home visit because you don't really know anyone and everyone is being a little shy. They first bring you water to drink. Then a few minutes later comes a cold drink (coke or limca) and biscuits (cookies). While we are sitting here enjoying our coke, random neighbors from everywhere come in and just gawk at us. Some get the guts to actually introduce themselves. But then they leave. Its like we are on display and they said, "The American girls are here...go look at them!" Sometimes we even get asked for a few photographs. Pretty much the first 30 minutes is you getting stared at but not really talked to.

The Photos Albums Come Out-
An Indian visit is not complete without looking at photographs! This is also kind of when we can start to relax and we are figuring out everyone and the fun begins. So Deepa pulled us into a different room and we started looking at pictures for awhile. Then the cousin-brothers (there are 3) come in and start talking to us. And of course the camera comes out!! Then we are told that Deepa's cousin-brothers are dancers and that they should dance for us. They are at first a little shy, but Deepa is pretty bossy...i mean... convincing. Before we know it, we begin to see CD's come out. We are then asked to move to the other room to watch her cousin-brothers dance!!
Dancing!
No true Indian visit is complete without dancing or some type of singing!! Music and dancing is a core part of the Indian culture. This time it was nice because we got to watch her cousin-brothers dance so they were distracted from asking Lindsey and I to dance. Two of Deepa's cousin-brothers choreograph their own dance moves and actually teach dance. (I uploaded a video of them dancing below this post...go there NOW and let it stream so you can watch it...this post would not be complete with out watching it). I was super impressed by their dance skillz and it was sooo fun!



Dinner-
In India, the very last thing you do is eat. Pretty much once you finish eating, you have permission to leave and is usually expected. The awkward thing about eating in an Indian's home is they don't eat with you. They serve you and watch you eat. It is kind of awkward to eat and have 6 people stare at you and then have those same people try to stuff more and more food down your throat. Oh... and you almost always eat on the floor!! All things that I have adjusted to now.

Here is us sitting on the floor about to eat with two random neighbors that wanted to meet us and take our picture.
More Photos-
Usually right before we leave the camera comes out again. Pretty much any combination of picture that CAN be taken is taken. It kind of makes you feel movie star-esque. Sometimes it gets a little humorous. I am pretty much just told WHERE to be...Indians can be quite bossy...i mean convincing.



This is the family that we visited. We took about 20 different variations of pictures...I however will spare you!
Gifts-
Sometimes, but not all the time you get gifts. Usually they are T-A-C-K-Y!!! But it's always the thought that counts!! The oldest cousin-brother is an amazing artist and during our visit we were looking at his artwork and many of it is displayed in their house as decoration. Well as we leave, we see them looking at the walls and whispering. Yes, they really did it friends...they took their decorations off their wall and gave them to us!! Indians have nothing but they give so freely from what they have. We could all learn this lesson!!!

Leaving-
The family walked us out to the rickshaw and the minute we were out of their site Lindsey and I laughed for like 3 minutes straight!! We had such a great time and everything we did was so typical India that we couldn't help but enjoy ourselves! Indians are AMAZING. They have the best hospitality on the planet...sorry Mississippi (the hospitality state). It has been amazing to experience the best that India offers and that is their people. I have fallen in love with the people here...and it is the people that I will miss!!!

1 comment:

Craig & Cindy said...

I had fun reading this. It reminded me of our trip to India to visit you...and some of of the things we did. I wish we would have had the dance though. I loved it.