Thursday, July 19, 2007

Birthday Fun Conitnues...Indian Style

My birthday fun continued today among my Indian community! I don't know that I will ever have the honor of sharing my birthday among my Indian friends again! In India, they celebrate your birthday a little differently. You throw a party for yourself and treat everyone else! So today, I went to class today with two 2-liter cokes and some Indian sweets. They were excited about having a party and had their dance music ready! My students were also super sweet and got me gifts. They were tacky as can be...but its the thought that counts! It was really really fun to be honored among such precious people.

Indian sweets... yummy....

My Indian family....


These are my tacky indian gifts.... birds on a globe figurine, a Jesus nativity scene, and florescent flower basket with a bird on it...ha.



Mona has been really sick so we didn't get to celebrate together at all yesterday. When I got back from class today, I went over to her house to say hi and see how she was feeling. She ended up crying and breaking down cause she was sooo sad I was leaving. It was aweful sad. But what to do? So I made coffee, brought over my birthday cake, and shared my yummy ranch dip with mona, ericka, and Jhuma!

Yay...happy birthday to me!!

4 comments:

julie said...

i love tacky indian gifts! your suit is way cute.

jrob said...

I am scandalized by y'all's bare legs! :) And I agree with Julie, your suit is so cute.

Emily said...

Whoops, that was me (Emily) and not James. Didn't want you to think he was commenting on your legs! ;)

Anonymous said...

My heart is a little bit broken for Mona. I know how she feels except that I knew you were coming back! I definitely remember those sad mornings thinking about you leaving. Tell Mona that I feel for her!