Tuesday, December 18, 2007

MY thoughts on E-harmony

I have a confession to make...I am an E-harmony user. I thought if I had you guys dialogue and think about it for yourselves you would have your own thoughts and views.

I was talking to Lindsey, my roomie in India, and how we are ready to be in a relationship and the lack of men or the lack of men to step up and ask us out. So we started to joke about e-harmony and what we thought about it. Realizing that it was a way to find single like-minded men . And then I found myself filling out a profile for the fun of it. There happened to be an amazing deal going on 3 months for $30 so I signed up without really thinking it through.

So immediately afterwards, I had all these thoughts about it. Was I desperate? Is it creepy? Is it safe? Do I like being single? Have I taken singleness into my own hands? Is it really just networking? Are people going to look down on me? Am I going to be judged by others?

These are my thoughts. I agree with my "commenters" it is a great way for networking and I think very culturally appropriate. However, it still takes the same amount of wisdom and prayer to move forward as any relationships does. The only red flag I had for myself is wondering if I was taking my singleness into my own hands. I think it's a legitimate concern, but I also think God can use E-harmony.

Let me just say, that in Christian circles dating is TOO COMPLICATED. I think more guys should be asking girls out and more girls should be open minded and say yes to guys when they aske them out. It's weird being single and realizing all the "unwritten" rules about dating and not dating. What is too forward, what is being passive, and why do so many girls let guys string them along? Why can't we just be adults about it? Anyways...being single these days can be complicated.

Basically...I am OWNING e-harmony. I am a proud e-harmony user. There is nothing wrong with single, young people dating... So ask me about it, keep me accountable, and pray that I would be wise.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Own it, girl! I have already been praying for you and you know I will keep it up. I look forward to seeing who the Lord has for such a special person. I love you! And I'm excited for your future!

Anonymous said...

God can use anything to connect people. we live in an age of incredible efficiencies, why not exploit them for good?

you hit it right on the head when you said that you still need discretion and wisdom. who cares how you met... i know some very happy folks who met via the blog world. no names, but very wonderful christians.

Emily said...

Matt and Tiff met on it. I think it's great - I say why not??

Janelle and Ella said...

Good for you!! You should own it! I know it is going to be a great thing!

Kelley C said...

Hey- its better than meeting on the website HotorNot like a certain friend of mine.

kelly said...

alicia i think it is cool that you ar on eharmony! have you had any matches or dates yet? keep us posted!!!

Stephanie said...

I love you sister! You speak to my heart far too often...