
Meet My Dad- Craig.
He grew up as a military kid to a disinterested father and wayward mother.
Eventually him and his 2 other siblings settled on the beaches of Ventura.

In his high school years, he most definitely was THAT kid...
The Californian, long-haired, post-smoking, surfer.
He still isn't exactly sure how he passed high school, but he are all thankful that he did.
After college graduation, he found himself so stoned that he actually forgot why he was attending mechanics school and literally headed east towards Texas. The rest is actually history.
Empy, lost, and desperately needing to be saved from himself, God did exactly that.
Somewhere in the dessert between California and Texas, my Dad's car broke down and he had a Paul moment. God literally stopped him in his path and pursued my dad. God called him out on his sin, and for the first time received salvation, peace, and purpose.
He eventually made it Texas and settled there.
God birthed in him a hunger for knowledge of the Word. God used his graveyard shift at Jack-in-the box to be the platform for discipleship. There was another co-worker who did just that and thus began a new life in Christ.
In his passion for knowledge, he eventually went to Bible college where he met my lovely mother. She couldn't resist his dark and handsome good looks (maybe that's where I get it from) and at the young age of 19 and 21 they were married. The next five years following they would have three daughters: Shannon, Amber, and last but definitely not least, me.

And thus begins the beauty of a legacy. A legacy that would be built up in heaven.
Recently, I have the joy of engaging in lots of conversations discussing Biblical manhood, legacy, and choosing to live in a meaningful story.
As I get old, I mean older, I appreciate the sacrifices and choices that my dad made for our family. His choices created an ability for his daughters (we are three) to become children of Light and to live meaningful stories.
He always put our spiritual growth above anything else.
From daily family prayer times before bed to praying before meals- my dad MODELED godly leadership. We never missed a Sunday in church and I have hundreds of memories of seeing my Dad study the Word.
We never had any money growing up. We always lived very simply, but I also never remember lacking anything either.
My dad is a hard worker. He would always take on extra-jobs, working hard to provide for the four women in his life that he adored.
He worked so that my mom could stay at home and love on us and he sacrificed to give a private Christian education for his daughters.
Every sacrificial decision my dad made was in light of his commitment to Christ and his responsibility to care for us. He also has been a constant presence in my life. Showing up to cheerleading games, piano recitals, roses on Valentine's day, a surprise visit in India, visits to California, skype dates, and lots and lots of harassment, these are all things he did out of love. I don't honestly think he thought twice about it.
As the years go by and I hear other people's stories, I am forever grateful for my godly Father who exudes Biblical manhood.
And in return, I am forever a Daddy's girl.
Daddy,
Thanks for all the hugs, kisses, and I love you's.
Thank you for your genes. You know that I am an exact clone of you- don't ever forget that.
Thanks for always harrassing me.
Thanks for letting me still sit in your lap (even thought you protest)
Thanks for the memories of sitting in your study discussing theology and the deeper things in life.
Thanks for all the daddy-daughter dates- especially coffee and movies.
Thanks for your tenderness and always crying in chick-flicks more than all the rest of us.
Thanks for your affirmation and loving me.
But most importantly thank you for choosing to raise me in a godly home and making a new legacy in the Divers' family.
I love you Daddy!
Love your half-pint.

1 comment:
Thank You! This meant a lot to me and makes my heart fill with love. I will never forget you are my clone...we look too much alike.
It is nice to see what you remember and the impact my life had on you. This was timely to hear has I had been thinking lately if I had ever had an impact on someones life.
You girls and Mommie have always been my love and number one focus, next to Jesus.
I love you and you will always be my Half Pint.
Daddy
Post a Comment