DAY WITH THE KIDDOES - Wednesday afternoon- Thursday afternoon
I realize this photo isn't great quality, but it was fun. This tree was in a mall that is about 10 minutes from my house. This is the largest Christmas tree I have seen all season, so it was picture worthy (and the kids are cute in front of it too). Jeremy took the picture cause he's almost 13 and apparently too cool for the camera these days.
The kids came over and we let them watch three movies in a row. ha ha. Santa Clause 2, Elf, and High School Musical. Then the kids spent the night and we got up early and went to see Open Season at the 3-D I-Max center. Then we had Mc Donald's and came back and made Sugar Cookies. The kids had fun, but I think the parents enjoyed their alone time even more...they definitely needed it!! I love date nights.
CHOTI CHRISTMAS PARTY WITH ENGLISH STUDENTS- Thursday afternoon.JPG)
Our English class met for the last time for the semester so we thought we would have a Christmas party. We enjoyed food, fellowship, fun, singing, and dancing!! Our students kept trying to get us to dance, but we don't quite have the right skills!! Maybe we should take some dance lessons!! Actually it's on my list of things to do before I leave.
Our English class met for the last time for the semester so we thought we would have a Christmas party. We enjoyed food, fellowship, fun, singing, and dancing!! Our students kept trying to get us to dance, but we don't quite have the right skills!! Maybe we should take some dance lessons!! Actually it's on my list of things to do before I leave.
DINNER AT SONNI'S HOUSE - (Thursday evening)
Here I am- eating on the floor! Sonni's (English student of mine) family invited Lindsey and I over for dinner. Her family is from a village called Bihar. So we had their village food and it was delicious!! Have I mentioned that Indian food is really tasty? It's always a little awkward because they don't eat with you. They all just stare at you and try to stuff more down your throat. Indians have the most amazing hospitality.
CHRISTMAS PARTY AT MY HOUSE - (Friday Evening)
Lindsey and I invited about 40 of our neighbors and our friends for a American/Indian style Christmas celebration. Many Indians know about Christmas, but it is so different from their traditional celebrations that they don't know how to celebrate it. We were actually really surprised by the great turn out that we had! Many people said this was the first time they had ever celebrated Christmas (these are grown adults). Can you imagine that? SO they were thrilled to be invited to celebrate together. Everyone came bearing wonderful and sweet gifts. We played a game with the Santa Hats which made for some really really fun and festive pictures! I love it!!
So what did we do? We started out singing lots of American Christmas carols! Indians really love to learn all the Christmas carols...so they sang loudly and with great joy! Then we were able to have a time of advent. Shortly after, Paul led a time of sharing the Christmas story. It was really neat because he had parts typed out for everyone to read- so everyone was a part of telling the story! It was filled with lots of laughter. My landlords (an elderly couple) were Elizabeth and Zachariah. They really got a kick out of thinking about them having a baby at such an old age!! I was surprised at how much everyone enjoyed it!!
Everyone had a great time! Even today, I heard people say how wonderful the food was (we served dinner) how much they loved the songs and the singing! Mr. Gupta (my landlord) said that until last night he didn't realize that there was prophecy hundreds of years before Jesus' birth. That seemed to really speak to his heart a lot!!
Lindsey and I had a great time and honestly were just overwhelmed with joy and God's goodness. We felt so privileged to share Christmas with our Indian family and friends!! I can't explain in words how meaningful this time was for me. This night will definetly be remembered for a lifetime.
ANITA'S FAMILY CAME OVER FOR PRESENTS- (Saturday morning)
Lindsey and I had bought Anita and her kids Christmas presents. So we had them come over to our house!! They each got something warm to wear for the winter and we bought Anita a big warm blanket for their bed!
I was so overwhelmed this morning! Anita has become so special to us and we really don't know what we would do without her. There are no words to describe how joyful and wonderful it was to give them their first Christmas ever! Their faces and reactions were priceless! It really is better to give than to receive!
REJEEV CAMP CHRISTMAS PLAY- (Saturday Evening)
My supervisor has a slum tuition center (school) in low-income area. The kids put on a Christmas play full of costume's and make-up!! They were great and I really enjoyed seeing the Christmas s
tory in a very Indian way!! It was precious.
This picture is for you KIM and Lindsey!!! It's your 3 favorite people in India.
Well it is super late here...and it's officially Christmas EVE here...SO Merry Christmas EVE!!!
6 comments:
Alicia, my heart is so full for you. I think the testimony about your Christmas party is the most heart-warming thing I've heard all season long. I rejoice with you over God's goodness. My family loves you! Merry Christmas!
Amanda
DEEEEEEEEEEPAK!!! EEEEEEEEEEK!! Kim is excaliming at this very moment how she wants to kiss him right now. Thank you for posting these pics...it means so much to see these kids in pictures!! UGH! I miss you guys! I love you and am so happy to see how the Christmas party turned out in B-603! Merry Christmas!
EEEEEEEEE i miss him and love him and can't wait to see him. love you, thanks for that post :)
I am so happy for you that you were able to share the Christmas story and the Love with so many friends there! What a wonderful thing you are doing. That really is what Christmas is all about! You look beautiful in your party night picture next to the tree! Congratulations and Merry Christmas!!!
Alicia i just wanted to say you look BEAUTIFUL in your new sari.
Alicia...I need to know that you are home safe. I also need you to know that the brown shirt with fuschia roses and the black w/gold trim India apparel are both adorably beautiful...not to be superficial, but you know that I am a bit behind in reading all of this.
Hannah
Post a Comment