Friday, May 05, 2006

Thoughts on Isaiah 29:13

"These people come near to me with their mouths and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is...rules taught by men." Isaiah 29:13

Earlier today, I had a friend of mine ask me, "How is your heart?" [I was kind of thrown off by the question at first, but it is rare that you have a friend who loves you enough to get past all the surfacy crap and just cut to the chase. We should all be this real to each other...don't you think?]I hesitated in my answer because I wasn't really sure how I should respond. After a few moments I knew, "apathetic."

I have to confess that when I read this verse tonight...the Holy Spirit immediately cut at my heart. I have been a bunch of lip service and my heart is so far from the Lord. Sometimes I am scared to give God my heart fully. I have been withholding my love for my God fully. This is a horrible place to be...without love for God and without intimacy of friendship with my God, I am just trying to be good...fulfilling some type of law that I am no longer bound to. This is what happens when you take love out of obedience.

God I ask that you would seek after my heart...captivate me. Guard me from just giving lipservice, but allow my heart to be fully yours. I ask for a freshness and newness for you in my life. Remind me of how spiritually destitute and ruined I am without you. Pursue me with your zealous passion and love. Holy Spirit give me the ability to love you fully.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too, my friend! I have been praying for a renewed love for the Lord. Isn't it great that we can ask for that since He knows how our hearts are anyway?
Love you!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I understand completely! One thing I have learned in the last couple of years is that you have to trust completely, which can be really really hard. When you are able to do this though, you are able to love freely and it's not just about lipservice. The verse that I pry over the most lately is Proverbs 3:5-6. Let me know what you thing. I continue to pry that your love will grow deeper for Him and through him your love for the people around you will blossom and grow more every day!