Thursday, January 31, 2008

Intramural Basketball

Something that I learned about myself while I was in India is that I have a really pretty deep fear of failure. I only like to try and so things that I think I will be successful at. It takes a whole lot of convincing for me to try something new especially if I think I will be lame at it. This is a horrible way to go through life. I think that I have missed out on some great opportunities in life because I was too afraid to fail.

This has always played out in sports. In high school I was a cheerleader. I never played sports even though I really enjoyed them. I was always afraid that I would be the one player that sucked and caused everyone to lose. I think even once I told my friends I wanted to join the track team, but they laughed at me and told me I wouldn't be any good at it. So I thinked I really missed out!

First of all, I love basketball. I don't know the rules or the plays I just like to play. The only experience that I have with basketball is playing street ball with a bunch of african american kids. I have never played on any organized team, but I love it. So anyways...CBU has intramural basketball teams. I saw the sign that they were forming teams and secretly I really wanted to do it, but didn't pursue it because I was afraid of being the LOSER player. Well God knew my desires and well somehow I got signed up and I am on the STAFF team! We played our first game last night and I had a blast. I was definetly overwhelmed by words like "screen", "block" and all the other technical terms....but I played and really enjoyed myself. We even won my first game!!

So anyways...I am learning to try new things even if I suck at them. Life is too short to not try new things! As I was playing basketball, I was remembering how much I really do love the sport!!

3 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Way to go Alicia! I'm also in recovery from my fear-of-failure prison. Life is so much more fun when you don't have to live in chains of what other people think.

Have FUN playing basketball, girl. I bet you're better than you give yourself credit for.

Kelley C said...

I love you. I bet you are just as awesome at basketball as you were at softball. I wish I could come watch.

Lady A said...

you are preachin' to the choir my friend... but i'll let ya know some great advice that some cool chic named alicia gave me once (though i think you were referring to the wearing of fun jewelry...)
but i think it works for for this too.... "just own it" if you mess up trying to do somehting new... own it! make it the best move anyone has yet to see.
the end (of the novel)