Monday, November 19, 2007

Culture Shock and The Messy Struggle

I have been told for months that reverse culture shock can be worse than the initial shock I experienced in India. I am here to verify the truth of this statement. Culture shock has hit and is in full force and it SUCKS! It's weird too because I have never felt so blessed and so loved. My community in California is nothing but loving and wonderful. So I can honestly say that I am doing great and at the same time I am a huge messy struggle. This weekend was kind of an ultimate low for me (eating dinner by myself in my car in the parking lot of Starbucks and going for a run and ending up laying in the grass crying for half an hour). Let me just say I am glad this weekend is over!

I am in a new season of finding my identity. I find that having been a missionary in a different country and having a heart for different nations and for lost people kind of makes you a social outcast and makes people really intimidated by you. You should hear the silence that follows when I tell people about my job and my heart. I get a lot of blank stares. I have never felt so much like an alien and not of this world as I have recently.

I can be honest and tell you that I wish that I was just a normal college graduate purusing the American dream. I wish I could take back the poverty and lostness that I have seen and experiened. Ignorance is bliss. Right? Now, I am held accountable to this knowledge. Sometimes I am embarrassed to even call myself a missionary. I hate the "M" word. It's a social killer. I am struggling with my passions and to know what to do with them and how to share them with people who just don't have a clue about God's global purposes and His heart for the nations.

I am also struggling with my identity as a single person. I would like to think that I am not one of those girls that has to be married. BUT I have never had such a season of complete loneliness. I spend most of my time alone these days, which most of you know, I HATE being alone. It's scary to think as I walk in the next season of obedience that I do it completely alone and without support! I am struggling with really understanding and knowing that Jesus is ENOUGH. Pray that I can honestly say this...right now, I am asking that He will be enough.

I am also struggling in my professional identity. What do I want to be when I grow up? Who am I? What is it that God is calling me to? Moving back overseas? Missions mobilization? Seminary? Professional grad school? Inner-city work? California? Texas? And as I make this decision and walk in obedience is this something I am prepared to follow alone as a single woman? A partner in ministry would be AWESOME!

I am also struggling in my personal identity. For the first time in my life, I don't have a sense of belonging. I don't have a group of women that are my ladies. I have lots of amazing friendships here but I have them through friends of friends. Does that make sense? Pray that God would provide some women to love me and bring me into their circle.

I understand that this post is kind of a "Debbie Downer" post. I am not writing for attention but rather asking for your prayers. I am really struggling! I know that I need the Lord to really work in my life and honestly, I just want to be real with my struggles and lay them out there. I feel like God is calling me to a season of intense discipline and honestly I am fighting it. I am pretty big messy struggle... and would really just covet your prayers for me!!

The Prayer Specifics-
-Discipline
-joy to be back- i find i have been pretty boring and serious these days
- a sense of belonging and a group of women to be in fellowship with
- I would find my identity in Christ FIRST

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'm sorry you're going through that! I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I've known lonliness. I'll be praying for you. It will get better.

Emily said...

Wow, it's amazing how easily we can relate to each other! I had a few weeks that SUCKED and I felt almost everything you described. My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours, but thankfully the horribly depressing feelings do come and go. I guess that should be an encouragment to us? :)

Kelley C said...

You have always been such a support for me...I wish I could be there to hug you. I love you.

Ang said...

Alicia...as you said to me when you came back to First Irving, you truly understand what it's like now. I know you know this, but know that where you are is exactly where God wants you. I have lived my whole life with those blank stares...but the eternal reward is worth them. I sure will be praying for you. Love you lots!

Lady A said...

Hallo? hello?? haalloo?
hellohellohello.....
who is this?

Lady A said...

so the above message was my impression of a random person in india calling your mobile and you never actually get around to what they want.... haha.
love you babes,
just know you are so loved, prayed for, and appreciated - cuz youre pretty amazing.

Marc and Charity said...

Hello, I've commented here before but just wanted to say that I can relate to your feeling of being outcast...we just went through that while back in the states for over a year before we came back career. I'm sorry and will be praying for you.