Go Spurs Go!! Go Spurs Go!! In case you haven't noticed or remembered- I AM A SPURS FAN! I LOVE the Spurs. As many of you know, I grew up in San Antonio; therefore, these boys be my homies.The Spurs is San Antonio's only professional team, therefore, we have no other teams to divide our loyalties resulting in lots and lots spirit. The Spurs have taken the title "NBA CHAMPS" 3 different times since 1999. My most memorable NBA win was 1999 which was also the Spurs first title win in years. This was a time when David Robinson, Avery Johnson, and Tim Duncan played together. I always had a great respect for David and Avery as godly men and leaders. This was the first year that I really saw San Antonio's true SPIRIT. San Antonio was painted with the phrase "Go Spurs Go!" everywhere! There wasn't a place around that didn't bleed this phrase. There were flags hanging out of cars, fences with cups spelling "Go Spurs Go!" huge sky scrapers with banners saying "Go Spurs Go" and marquis every where yelling "Go Spurs Go!" To our great excitement the Spurs went home that year, 1999, with the title of "Champs" and have made it to the playoffs every year since then and taken two more titles. 1999 was also the year that David Robinson retired to pursue full-time ministry. The city rejoiced together and gave amazing tribute to David. It was a true testimony of his life for Jesus. I have a lot of respect for the Spurs players themselves and the legacy that past players have left with the Spurs. 1999 was such a glorious year for San Antonio, I even bought the SPURS championship shirt... I wonder what happened to it?
So what happens when you move to Dallas for college and everyone is a Mavericks fan? Do you compromise your loyalty? Hell no. You yell even louder! I used to work in an after-school care program. The kids there were always Mavs fans (rightly so). So every time the playoffs would come- I would write "Go Spurs Go" on EVERYTHING!! They were also so frustrated with me and tried to convince me that now that I lived in Dallas I should be a Mavs fan. But I persevered and continued my loyalty/obnoxiousness by posting "Go Spurs Go" on.. um... everything. My end goal was to brainwash/manipulate these kids into becoming Spurs fans. I LOVED the controversy. I was successful in converting a few fans once the Mavs lost (cause they eventually do..sorry Mavs fans).
All this to say... The NBA finals are always a bit nostalgic for me. I am happy to hear my homeboys are holding their own again this season!! So to end all this I leave you with three great words....
GO SPURS GO!!!!
2 comments:
i like to manipulate people into becoming cards fans. i'm proud to say i've converted many...
That was a great tribute to our Spurs! Go SPURS GO!!!!
Post a Comment