Sunday, March 04, 2007

Happy Happy Holi....the colors are here!

Happy Holi World!! This was hands down the best holiday celebration I have experienced in my entire time in India!! I got to spend it with several different indian families. They are the families that allow me to call India my home!! It is the relationships that I have with these people that make every struggle, uncertainty, failure, or difficulty COMPLETELY worth it!!

Sit back and relax as I share Holi with you through pictures.



This is our before shot....look how clean we look.



At 8 AM this morning, Lindsey and I went over to Mona's (my neighbor and best friend) parent's house. There we kicked off the holiday with our first colors. You usually take the colored flour and put it on each other head and say "Happy Holi" and then hug the person. So this is what we looked like after we "Happy Holied" (is that a word) everyone!


Mona's mother cooked breakfast for us. Yummy. Yummy. They dropped us off back at our apartment for a short hour break till we would go to Deepa's house for the rest of the day.
Transportation is a little tricky because there weren't many auto rickshaws out. And it's also dangerous to be out and about. It's the only holiday where its appropriate for guys and girls to interact so boys are really really forward. So when we got taxi's we had to drive right up to the doors of places. Every aunty kept telling us not to travel by ourselves...i guess it's nice to feel looked after. Just random information.

This is me putting yellow color on Lindsey while saying, "Happy Holi!"


Once Lindsey and I got to Deepa's house we were served lots of food and then we went to the rooftop to "play" Holi. This is what we looked like when we were finished!!


Lindsey (my first roomie) came with us to celebrate. Here we are all nice and colored!!

After we were finished playing Holi, we decided to dance!! I think we danced for 2 hours straight! It was so fun. Indians have a very unique style of dancing and man if you think black people can groove- you should see the way indians dance. I love love love it!!



More dancing...



After the dancing...the WATER came out. I got soaked straight to the bone. The water of course had very bright red dye in it...so pretty much I became wet and red.



Here is the final picture of us at the end of Holi.


We were finished playing but very very WET. So we went across the street to the SUNNY rooftop so that we could get dry. So we spent the next two or so hours just chillin' on the rooftop sunbathing.



Fun group shot. Girls just wann have fun.



Here is Lindsey and I trying to get our backsides dry. It made for a cute picture.


There were several ladies (deepa's mom) who came to hang out with us. They were constantly entertaining us and dancing. It was so wonderful to just relax on the rooftop, eat some snacks, and just enjoy the relationships that I have with my indian friends.
These families are my joy here. They make me want to never leave this place. When we were leaving I was telling her family 'thank you' and she said "You are family...therefore no need for saying thanks." Those are some of the most precious words I have heard! These people are my indian family and my heart is growing deeper and deeper in my love for them! I hope they can one day be a part of God's family as well.



Don't forget to leave a comment!

11 comments:

Murrell Family said...

Alicia,
That looks like so much fun! I cannot think of an American holiday where everyone lets loose like that. I love all of the pictures! Most of all, I love to hear about the relationships that you have that are so precious to you...and to them. What a blessing to have Indian family members! Love you!
Melissa

kelly said...

cool! great pics! sounds like you guys had a blast! how do you pronounce holi? like holy?

Anonymous said...

You girls look like you had a great time! I am so excited you have been able to grow closer with your students! Celebrating Holi will forever be a memory I hold close to my heart. Thinking of you guys a ton. Blessings to you and the team!

Alicia said...

yep kelly. You say "Holi" just like Holy. Good question.

Janelle and Ella said...

Love those pictures!! Looks like so much fun! I would love to experience that!!

merritt said...

Lookin' good! I like your suit; will the colors come out? Heard you got smacked in the rickshaw on the way to celebrate with J,K, and K?

Catie said...

yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i absolutely LOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEE the pictures!!!!!!! i am going to write you back on facebook to tell you my summer plans!

Alicia said...

Merritt, well...the suit will never be the same after holi...neither will my undergarments!!! ;) But I don't really care for this suit anymore and I thought it would be nice and bright for pictures...which it definetly was.

You know in in their neighborhood...first right then the first right again after the you go through the gate? Yep... to my suprise i got a big wet water balloon on my thigh. It hurt like HECK. It seriously ticked me off...but i guess all in the name of Holi. By the way, Happy Birthday.

merritt said...

Thanks, Alicia! When's your bday?

I can't believe you got whacked! What a bummer! Good thing it was you instead of Kiran! I think Kelley would have hopped on a plane! =)

Alicia said...

merritt my birthday is July 18. How is your pill thing going? I know that kind of killed your birthday this year

merritt said...

Alicia,
I'm finally all better! It was a bummer, but I survived. I'm now a huge advocate for swallowing pills with mucho aqua!