Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Update - Weather, language, and family

Hello friends! Well, things here in India are GREAT! The weather is starting to warm up and right now it is PERFECT. It is the ideal hammock weather. You know that kind of weather where you could wear shorts or pants and the sun is out but not blaring...? yep PERFECT. I think that the weather here is being kind to us. Usually it warms up pretty fast but it seems like the cooler weather is sticking around!! I have still been sleeping with no fan and pajama pants. Soon it will be fan, shorts, tank tops, and cold showers before bed. Oh...the things to look forward to.

So lately, I have been forgetting all my English words and am getting better at speaking Hinglish rather than English. You might even notice this in my blog posts! ha. The more I hang out with my English students the worse my English is getting because their grammar is AWFUL therefore my grammar is awful. I have even had several people tell me lately on the phone how different my English is sounding! HELP!

Examples:
Hinglish: My stomach is paining me.
English: My stomach hurts.
Hinglish: I go to marriage.
English: I am attending the wedding.
Hinglish: It's she's sister book also...same same
English: It's her sisters's book- they are the same.

My South Asia Friends...do you have any phrases that you catch yourself saying?!

My cousin Angela is getting married! She got engaged shortly after Valentine's Day to Jon Schneider. Welcome to the family Jon! Yesterday, she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding! I can't wait and feel so honored to be in her wedding. The big day will be November 10 in Austin, Texas. Angela is the first of all the cousin's on my mom's side to get married. Almost all of us are in our twenties now...so it's just the beginning of many!!

Picture taken after their engagement. Notice the bling bling on her finger! Congrats Jon and Angela!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

haha I blogged about Hinglish a couple of weeks ago, too. It's crazy this semi-language we're picking up over here. I am always saying, "Have you reached?" and tons of other stuff, too! :)

merritt said...

Shifted. That's another one I hear Kelley say.

I have come to the conclusion that people who learn two languages actually get worse at spelling and grammar. I used to be a fabulous speller, but now, sometimes I can't remember which is English and which is Spanish!

Lady A said...

yes, yes..i will accompany to you to the market...

Janelle and Ella said...

I would love to hear your Hinglish!! haha!