Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flattered or Annoyed?

I am sitting in the San Antonio airport after my 3:00 AM wake-up call this morning waiting to board my plane to Phoenix and something happened this morning that ALWAYS happens. No matter what I am wearing or how my hair is fixed, people always assume that I am a college student barely over twenty. Today is the third time in the past week that people have asked me what college I go to and what I am studying. I realize that I should be flattered and thankful for the fact that I apparently have awesome genes for aging. But every time, I find myself annoyed wishing I looked more distinguished and a "woman of maturity" in my late twenties. Fat chance that is going to happen. I mean what are the perks of being in your late twenties if people always assume you are still a free spirited college student with little real life experience? Now that I recently crossed over into my late-twenties, I feel the need to embrace it fully and benefit from some of the awesome perks worthy of the faces of shock made at me when they find out I am actually "old".

Maybe I should start wearing cardigans and pearls instead of my boyfriend cut VS sweatpants.

Just a little 5AM rant for your enjoyment.
PS. I think my unemployment is allowing me the actual time to write all the posts that I write in my head that never usually would make it on the blog. Yay. ME. and. Lucky. YOU.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Um, you should definitely, positively be flattered! It's way better to look younger than older. Plus, I think it does also have something to do with your free spirit and probably the fact that you have been in college ministry.

raj said...

That's why we call it "funemployment"!*

*note: it is more fun for having time to do things, less fun for paying bills and putting food on the table.