Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mehendi Alicia

I finally got to do something I have been dying to do India since I first go there. I got mehendi (AKA henna) on my hands!

Mona my neighbor decided to throw us (the roomies) a Mehendi party! We came over for some delicious Indian food and then we waited for the Mehendi wallah to come. Once you get the Mehendi on your hands you have to let it sit on your hands for at least two hours. So in our innoncent stage of not being able use our hands we watched a bollywood movie Kuch Na Kaho. It was an evening filled with culture, food, and female bonding!!!

Each hand has a particular design/theme. Can you find the fish on one hand and the peacock on the other?

The mehendi wallah put the mehendi on your hands. Then you have to sit for like 3 hours without washing it off (its kind of like mud that hardens). You can put some lemon and honey on it which helps bring out the color. We watched a movie while we waited for our hands to dry and for the color to settle in. Then when I went home I put gloves on my hands and fell asleep. When I woke up I washed all the sticky honey stuff and mehendi off BUT it left the design.

Here is the finished product!! It's really fun. I felt very Indian today!!!

No comments: