Last summer, I lead a group of 9 CBU students to Munich, Germany on a missions trip for 3 weeks. It is humbling how well people get to know your quirks and habits when you spend all semester training together that is culminated by 24/7 time together for 21 days. One of the many quirks that I became known for was my over usage of the word 'logistics'. I love logistics which I guess was clear by my speech. As they say, out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. I heart logistics.
It is no surprise that I took on a full-time job that is 8-5 LOGISTICS!! There are days when I am buried in emails and cross-eyed from looking at too many excel spreadsheets, but at the end of the day my J heart (Myers Briggs anyone?) is happy. This week was a particularly glorious week in that I got to see a lot of semester long projects come to an end and see some great movement. It was such a great week of work and I think I might have one of the best jobs in the world.
This is what I did this week....
- cleaned out an inbox of over 250 emails
- finalized the plane itineraries for the last of the 31 teams going to 20 different countries this summer.
- ordered the last of the shuttles to and from CBU for our 31 teams
- made, completed, and handed out about 90% of the travel cards for our 300 students so there parents can leave and pick them up at the appropriate time.
- facilitated 2 training sessions
- handed back the last of the passports for our Russia and Uganda teams who needed visas.
- expedited by boss' passport to quickly get a Russia visa
- sent of lots and lots of paperwork to Sunergos, Book of Hope, and Little Lambs (paperwork is my new nemesis).
- harassed multiple students for passport copies
- made team budgets for our June teams
- organized all this information in an awesome excel spreadsheet on what we like to call the "matrix"
It was a beautiful week because i have been balancing all these things all semester, but seeing that our first 18 teams leave in a week from Monday it's finally time for it all to come together. Most people probably would want to shoot themselves because of all the details and planning, but I absolutely LOVE it!
2 comments:
I appreciate how the motif Logistics works itself out in all aspects of this blog - from the theme itself to the way you introduce logistics in a logical fashion to your very logisticky list you create to demonstrate logistics itself. Also, I might add that you've been thinking about some other topics in your life very "logistically" today. Ever notice that Logos is at the core of this word. As opposed to pathos, or passion. Hmmm... I'm sensing a very clear opposition here.
I like your style, Roomie!
Wooo hooo! I'm proud of you. That's a lot of work. I bet you thought that I had quit reading your blog. Not me. I'm faithful to your bloggy world. I may or may not have started a blog. I'm not sure where I'm going with it and have only posted once. I'm trying to find the time for it. Who knows when that will occur? I love ya. I'll call you back this week!
Post a Comment