Saturday, October 04, 2008

Marathon Week Training #1-

I decided to keep up with my running and thoughts on my marathon training on this here blog. I am not sure if anyone still reads it, but mostly these marathon entries will be for me and my ability to debrief my weekly marathon progress.

WHY- Every week I will choose one word to describe my weekly running experience. This week the word is "why". All week I thought... "why, I am I doing this?"... "why are my muscles so sore?"... "why do i suck so bad at running?"... and "why the heck do i want to run a marathon?" I think the answer to why is- running is hard- especially when you first start. I am reminded from past running experience that this too shall pass.

Saturdays is when we will do our long runs. For this first week the long run is only 4 miles. I actually think that running this marathon is going to be a spiritual journey for me. While living in India, I learned something about myself that I am not proud of. If I think that I am not good at something, I will not do it. I am afraid of failure. I only like to do things that I know I am good at and that I will succeed at. I am running this marathon scared to death that I will fail at it. I know that I am not a runner. But I can't let my fear of failure keep me from attempting great things like running marathons. So today, as I sucked at running (even for my record) and finished almost last, I was reminded to swallow my pride and remember that it is just the first week of running. There is another week of training and getting in shape and conquering those 4 miles with grace. So here's me saying, me running this marathon is going to be a little bit of a spiritual victory of sorts and to prove to myself that I don't have to be perfect at everything and its okay to learn and suck when you first start.

So that is where I am right now in my marathon mindset. I am laughing to myself cause I sound like a debbie downer, but I needed to process of that out loud and let you know where I am at. I need to sometimes swallow my pride and not always be so hard on myself. Thanks for those of you who care and read this. I am excited about giving my muscles some time off tomorrow, but I hit the pavement again on Monday for week 2 of 18.

Peace out A town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I figured I would leave some Love in your tank and say GOOD JOB! KEEP IT UP! Running doe suck but we are getting better at it i think.. :)