Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Freckles

Has anyone ever noticed that I have freckles? I would say that one distinguishing characteristic about myself is that I have freckles. I have always liked my freckles. Since I was a little girl, I have always had people making comments about my freckles. There was this one old man named Phil who I used to work with that incessantly commented on my freckles. Every conversation we had was revolved around my freckles. It always humored me. When it would rain he would even say, "It looks like the rain hasn't washed them away." I used to kind of roll my eyes. But in all honesty, I love my freckles and am thankful that God made me to have them!
HOWEVER, Indians don't understand them at all! They see freckles as an intrusion on perfect fair skin. You see, Indians want fair skin and are always bleaching their skin to be whiter. On two separate occasions, once in Riverside and once yesterday, I had an Indian woman look at my face very closely and say, "What happened?" And I of course replied with, "What do you mean?" They said, "You have BURN MARKS on your face." I then replied, "Oh, those aren't burn marks...they are freckles!" They then say, "Oh. pause. Is there medicine you can take?" I then try to tell them it's normal and nothing is wrong. They look at me like I obviously don't know what i am talking about. Apparently my freckles are a very bad medical condition! Sad. I happen to like my freckles...even if Indians find them to be a skin problem!

This was quite the random post, but it was on my mind so I thought I would blog about it!

4 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

The difference in cultures are so funny to me. We want tan skin and they want fair skin. Go figure? I LOVE your freckles.

Alicia said...

Thanks Janelle! I am glad to hear someone approves! :)

Emily said...

(apologies in advance for the caps issue...my daughter stole my left shift key!)

yes, i had quite a few funny conversations about freckles too. the funniest were always when the person didn't speak english, so i had to figure out how to explain freckles in hindi!

Anonymous said...

LOL... What a great random post. I think your freckles are cute. I have never liked mine, though. When I was a little girl I tried to figure out where they came from and how I could get rid of mine. When I asked my mom, she wasn't paying attention to me and offered me a cheeto. At that age, however, I thought she was telling me that freckles came from eating the chips. So I wouldn't eat them for years! A random thought for your random post. :)

Just and fyi... Phil is finally retiring!

Hope you are doing well!